babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » What do you think of this? Inevitable or best avoided?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think of this? Inevitable or best avoided?
Apemantus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1845

posted 13 December 2001 07:47 AM      Profile for Apemantus        Edit/Delete Post
http://www.wfm.org/

*runs for cover...

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 December 2001 10:04 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Apemantus, I approve of the WFM and share their goals, especially the renovation and revival of the UN.

We have talked about this before on babble, and I think many people here share WFM goals. Why is it, though, that it seems odd to me to form another organization to fight for the life and principles and goals of an organization that is already (sort of) there? I ask that question honestly. I dunno.

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 13 December 2001 11:06 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I believe, though I may be wrong, that the WFM was created during the Korean War. At that time, the "UN" was fighting against North Korea and the Chinese, as a result of the USSR boycotting Security Council meetings.

So the WFM was a way to suggest that the UN had gone astray.

Correct me, someone more knowledgeable, please.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 13 December 2001 11:08 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would share the goals of those who genuinely want powerful, with-teeth, supranational bodies if those bodies put their collective thumbs on the side of the scale in favor of the average citizen of the world.

Unfortunately, no such credible alternative is present. I therefore choose to favor nationalism and the strengthening of the nation-state as the bulwark against multinational corporations.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca