FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Foreign Aid

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Foreign Aid
bellows
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 747

posted 11 December 2001 06:09 AM      Profile for bellows     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What I fail to understand is with 1.5 children in Canada living in poverty and thousand's homeless and dying in the streets, The government just gave Africa $600 million. Should we not take care of our citizens first? Anything left over could than be used for foreign aid.
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 11 December 2001 07:26 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We should take care of our own first, but we should also make an effort to improve the world around us, as well. That's just the responsability that comes with being a "big economy". The last thing we should have on our priority list is multi-billion dollar tax cuts!
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 11 December 2001 09:14 AM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I feel very uneasy when a Canadian -- any Canadian, especially one of us (Left-wingers) -- questions foreign aid.

What we need to question, vigorously and persistently, is why Canada is not the breadbasket of the world.

Consider: 7% of Canada's land mass is arable land -- that's an area equal to the combined areas of England and France and the Region Niagara, with room to spare!

We should be producing all the food that this world needs -- without the producers (farmers) going bankrupt in the process.

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pankaj
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1040

posted 11 December 2001 10:52 AM      Profile for Pankaj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Relogged, where there is a will there is a way. I suppose there is no will to do what you correctly point out is possible. Interesting to think about why there is not this will; I figure that greed gets in the way. Too bad.
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 11 December 2001 11:20 AM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
An idea of what we are doing now and where the money and aid are going in Afghanistan.
Click

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca