babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Aspiring Mounties asked: Are you gay?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Aspiring Mounties asked: Are you gay?
judym
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 29

posted 06 December 2001 03:03 PM      Profile for judym   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"This is a federal department and our members have to deal with top-secret files on a regular basis, and are made aware of privileged information. We want to make sure there is no compromise."

> David Stonehouse > Ottawa Citizen

QuikSilver
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1470

posted 06 December 2001 03:15 PM      Profile for QuikSilver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Although the senior Mountie denies the force automatically rejects gays, he defends the policy of determining the sexual orientation of potential recruits as necessary to protect against the possibility that a homosexual officer could be blackmailed into revealing secrets.

Huh? Gays are more easily "blackmailed"? I've never heard that one before.

From: Your Wildest Fantasies | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 06 December 2001 04:57 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That argument about gays being "easily blackmailed" has been a justification for hounding them out of government jobs since the 1940s.

I'm surprised you, a right-winger, don't know that argument.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QuikSilver
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1470

posted 06 December 2001 05:14 PM      Profile for QuikSilver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Forgive my historical ignorance then, sounds like b.s to me at any rate.

If I had to characterize myself right fiscally/militarily and left on a lot of social issues (gays, marijuana etc...) More libertarian than anything, I guess... but why label?

From: Your Wildest Fantasies | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
judym
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 29

posted 06 December 2001 05:29 PM      Profile for judym   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
JOHN WATKINS was a homosexual. He also happened to be Canada's ambassador to the Soviet Union from 1954 to 1956. This was a very bad combination.
> Front Page

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 06 December 2001 05:42 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Is Watkins the guy that the movie Foreign Affairs, starring Victor Garber, was based one? I was a production assistant for a few days on that flick.
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PanzerLeader
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1166

posted 06 December 2001 05:51 PM      Profile for PanzerLeader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
DrC, in some areas it is still a major concern. If they are not "out" than it is a worry. If they have a partner and they are cheating on them it is a worry. The Soviets had a long history of honey-traps. The PRC does it to.

The same goes for heterosexuals. If they are cheating, thats a problem. Any moral weakness, came be used against a person. Yes, people will that low.

That why people who work inm certain sectors, have their personal life watched very closely. They make sure there are no problems. And you guys bitch you have no privacy. When was the last time your boss asked about your sex life and you had to answer while they notes.

From: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 December 2001 05:56 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just curious about one thing - if a gay person is not "out" in any other aspect of their life, what makes the mounties think that gay people are going to confide in them? I mean, if you can't tell your nearest and dearest, you probably aren't going to have a heart-to-heart with your boss about it instead.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 06 December 2001 07:01 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The same goes for heterosexuals. If they are cheating, thats a problem. Any moral
weakness, came be used against a person.

So...what`s the point of asking, then? If they "recognize" that it "applies to everyone", then isn't it still safe wether or not they know of the sexual orientation? A more apropriate question would be "Are you , have you ever, or can you ever see yourself cheating on your spouse/mate/partner?", or "Are you asexual?", considering that only the asexual are "above" the love-triangle stuff.

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1435

posted 06 December 2001 07:30 PM      Profile for bandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wonder if they ask if they're members of the Heritage front or any other racist/homophobic/sexist organization?
PanzerLeader
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1166

posted 06 December 2001 08:00 PM      Profile for PanzerLeader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
bandit, of course. There is a list groups that if you are a member, they will not let you join. The Heritage Front is one. It is not hard to figure-out which groups the others are.

The same goes for the military. They also check your whole body for tattoos. There is nonthing you can hide, they will find out sooner or later.

From: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 06 December 2001 08:20 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bet you can hide ignorance from the military.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca