babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Chris Stockwell - Is there hope the Ontario Conservative Party can be saved?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Chris Stockwell - Is there hope the Ontario Conservative Party can be saved?
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 29 November 2001 02:04 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is there room today for anyone other than neo-con corporatist ideologues in this horribly pillaged (but once somewhat venerable) party?

Stockwell is (horror of horrors) from Toronto. He understands that taxes actually pay for services people want.

As a sometimes vaguely red-Tory voter myself, I had completely and totally given up on the provincial party. But this Stockwell guy makes a lot of sense....

Liam McCarthy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 800

posted 29 November 2001 02:09 PM      Profile for Liam McCarthy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Having met Chris Stockwell, I have to say that Chris is the best possible choice for the Tories. He's funny, he exudes honesty and he is not a wingnut or painful idealogue and I think that he is the best hope(worst nightmare) for a Tory recovery. Thankfully, I don't think the Tories are smart enough to vote for him.
From: Windsor, Ont. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 November 2001 02:16 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, it's funny, I can't stand the Harrassites, but Chris Stockwell is one Tory I actually like. He was so funny in his stint as Speaker. I always wondered whether the Tories put him in the Speaker's chair to keep him out of trouble while they were gutting the province during their first term.

All I can say is, if we have to have a Tory government, and I had to choose anyone to be leader, he would probably be the one I choose. The lessest of the evils, you know.

When are we due to have another election, btw? The last one was in the spring of 1999, right? It's only been about two and a half years. When does Mike Harris step down, anyhow? I know he's announced it, but has he actually stepped down yet? Is there an interim leader?

And I wonder how long after the leadership election they will call a general election. Long enough for the public to get to know the new guy and for them to print his picture in taxpayer-funded, government sponsored, partisan propagande, but not long enough for people to be annoyed about not having actually elected their premier, I guess.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vaudree
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1331

posted 29 November 2001 07:38 PM      Profile for vaudree     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Be careful what you wish for. Come next election you will be glad if the PC's pick someone the voters despise. Who needs another 4 years of tories (in the original Irish sense of the word)?
From: Just outside St. Boniface | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 30 November 2001 01:22 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I do agree that I would be afraid of Mr. Stockwell being able to put an acceptable and moderate face onto a party filled with ideologues.

But isn't it nice to see there are still voices of reason on the 'right'?

agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 30 November 2001 01:50 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Liam said:
quote:
He's funny, he exudes honesty and he is not a wingnut...

Huh?! And I thought that WingNut is the funniest around here...

(BTW, whatever happened to wingy?)

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: relogged ]

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 November 2001 02:04 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good question! Wingy, come home! All is forgiven! I'll do the cookin', honey, I'll pay the rent ...

Michelle, Harris is still premier. At this very moment, he's probably destroying what little is left of homecare in Ontario. The replacement convention doesn't happen till -- March?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 November 2001 05:57 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is correct that Chris Stockwell is not a WingNut. Although we have never been present in the same room together.

But before we go cheering for him, it ought to be considered the only reason Chris has been on the outs with the Harrisyes is because he did not get his much desired cabinet position way back in '95.

It must be remembered the Cris is a neo-con from way back before Mikey made it fashionable.

And dearest skdadl, you have promised before to do all the cookin' and I am still hungry. Sure, you say you'll change but the proof is in the pudding. And where is the pudding, I ask ... rich, creamy, chocolate pudding land where chocolate bunnies frolic in the chocolate fields and chase chocolate butterflies fluttering among the chocolate leaves of the chocolate trees ... see how hungry I am?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca