babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Colin Powell - Eventual First Black Prez in US History?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Colin Powell - Eventual First Black Prez in US History?
JCL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1387

posted 26 November 2001 10:43 PM      Profile for JCL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Colin Powell was on Larry King Live tonight and I was thinking, since it was no secret back in the '96 US Election, both the Republicans and Democrats made pitches of Powell to run for them and be the VP.

Do any of you think Powell could be the first Black president of the US should he ever decide to run for the post?

I think it's a possibility.

From: Winnipeg. 35 days to Christmas yet no snow here. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
PanzerLeader
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1166

posted 26 November 2001 11:09 PM      Profile for PanzerLeader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No, Colin Powell can never become President. According to law only those born in the United States can run. Powell was born in Jamaica. However, I think Mrs. Rice is being ready for command. Can you picture it? A Republican black female candidate, that will split the Democrat's vote!
From: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
QuikSilver
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1470

posted 27 November 2001 01:48 AM      Profile for QuikSilver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Powell was born in NYC to Jamaican immigrants.

I think he would have given Bushie a run had he stepped up to the plate in 2000. Maybe not, considering the Repubs took Bush ((spoiled kid, got drunk, dad bought him a baseball team, dad gave him $ to find oil - went bankrupt, got in with the established elite)) over John McCain ((a genuine American hero, self made man, rare integrity and honesty in a politicain)). Still smarting over that one.

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: QuikSilver ]

From: Your Wildest Fantasies | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 27 November 2001 02:18 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Can you picture it? A Republican black female candidate

Oh. Dear. God. Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse, or something?

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 27 November 2001 02:53 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It would be extremely interesting though. And it would certainly teach Democrats not to take racial minorities and women for granted.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
JCL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1387

posted 27 November 2001 04:33 AM      Profile for JCL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oh. Dear. God. Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse, or something?

No, it just debunks the lies from the left that the right are racists and oppressors of women. Just because a person is a woman and a visible minority doesn't count as an automatic vote in the pockets of the left. The left puts a lot of fears into visible minorities and women that the right will oppress them or exploit them. They're (the left) are projecting righties as a bunch of people living in 18th century world where minorities were once slaves and women did not have a voice. And I suppose the left would be afraid of that because it'd steal votes away from their power base.

As for Colin Powell, he is indeed US born.

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: JCL ]

From: Winnipeg. 35 days to Christmas yet no snow here. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 27 November 2001 04:42 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are you saying no righties are, because if that is what you say, you are sadly mistaken.
JCL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1387

posted 27 November 2001 04:51 AM      Profile for JCL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Even lefties can be prejudiced or racist. I didn't say all or none are. Same goes for the right.
PanzerLeader
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1166

posted 27 November 2001 10:43 AM      Profile for PanzerLeader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, your right I got my facts screwed-up. Powell could run. But, I don't think he will. Right now I think all his effort is in his current job. Also while he has been in and out of White House since the early 1980's, I do not know how well his links go into the Republican Party its self.
From: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 27 November 2001 01:20 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Personally, I think Hiliary Clinton will make a run for the Democratic nomination, and maybe Bill Bradley will go again. is Ralph Nader still leading the Greens?
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 27 November 2001 01:48 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here's from the Computerized Crystal Ball:

Oprah will be the first woman president of the USA (she has a score to settle with Dubya's Texas).

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 27 November 2001 01:58 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
I dunno. The way she makes all her employees sign non-disclosure agreements in perpetuity about her private life would be played up big-time in an election.
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1435

posted 27 November 2001 04:43 PM      Profile for bandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I always thought that Michael Jordan would be the only african american with a chance of winning in the U.S. If Ronny Ray gun and jesse ventura could do it, he could certainly.
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 27 November 2001 04:48 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Will Smith plans on being the first black President. Said so on Oprah yesterday. BTW, if Oprah ran for president, I think she'd win in a land-slide... regardless of her waivers she gets her employees to sign, hell, I'd get them to sign those aswell.
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 27 November 2001 04:58 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
The Oprahtm non-disclosure agreement would raise a serious question if she were to run for office. If a former employee had information about her that could hurt her chances of getting elected, would the employee be covered under the so-called "whistle-blower" act?

Ms. Winfrey would, presumedly, argue that details about her private life are not covered by the whistle-blowers act.

Others would argue that the Oprahtm corporation makes most of its money from Ms. Winfrey's stories about her private life (or at least the version that she prefers to tell). As such, blowing-the-whistle about her private life should be fair game.

Oprahtm isn't a person. Oprahtm is a business.

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JCL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1387

posted 27 November 2001 09:08 PM      Profile for JCL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hillary Clinton? *gags* Wasn't she co-president for 8 years?

"It takes a village." She would say. Too bad she was married to the village idiot. Or maybe she is the village idiot? Eh. They're both co-idiots of the village.

saskzen
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1688

posted 28 November 2001 12:29 AM      Profile for saskzen     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What about J.C. Watts for pres.?
JCL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1387

posted 28 November 2001 03:17 AM      Profile for JCL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ever seen that Mad TV skit where Al Gore was sitting in the big chair in the Oval Office? And Bill Clinton came in and told him to beat it because he lost the election to Bush? It was a hoot. And Gore said he had a nuclear device strapped to his ass. *LOL* Clinton moved him and the next scene was a nuclear mushroom cloud.
ov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1758

posted 28 November 2001 03:25 AM      Profile for ov     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well let's see, if the shrub gets sacrificed then there would be a permanent state of indignation which would guarantee a permanenent total war, which would probably excite Cheney so much his heart would give out, which would put Powell in as Prez, right? So it coult happen any week now. Not that I'm counting on it though.

ov

Archimedes2000
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1669

posted 28 November 2001 11:30 AM      Profile for Archimedes2000        Edit/Delete Post
The Speaker of the House is next in line of succession after the President and VP. Powell will be president when he is elected, if he chooses to run. Powell could have been president this last time around, but he is in a position he wants, and that matters: Secretary of State, managing foreign affairs.

I believe Colin Powell will be responsible in a huge way when peace is finally achieved in the Middle East. Anyone catch his amazing policy speech this past week re: Isreal/Palastine?

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Archimedes2000 ]

Vera Gottlieb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 174

posted 09 December 2001 11:43 PM      Profile for Vera Gottlieb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Powell or Rice for US President? None of us will get to live that long to see this ever happen! It is a WASP society and so it will remain!
From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 10 December 2001 01:41 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They'll probably turn Rumsfeld into the war hero, just to keep it away from Powell or anybody who is even close to being a dove
vaudree
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1331

posted 10 December 2001 01:55 AM      Profile for vaudree     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A previous poster noted that only those who were born in the states can become president. Well, Svend Robinson was born an American - and I would like to see him in the top job.
From: Just outside St. Boniface | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca