babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » canadian politics   » Western Wishful Thinking about Ordinary Afghans

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Western Wishful Thinking about Ordinary Afghans
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 02 November 2001 08:11 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This article from Straight Goods is interesting. The US government would have us believe that the "ordinary afghan" supports the US military bombing the hell out of them, and that the US is getting their message of love across to the starving with their care packages.

This report from a refugee camp in Pakistan along the border tells a different story.

"This is a war between America and Islam, not between America and Osama. Why? Because Osama is not in the villages [being bombed]."

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 02 November 2001 08:57 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The US government would have us believe that the "ordinary afghan" supports the US military bombing the hell out of them
That is what the Russians told us after they smashed the Hungarian uprising in 1956. The propaganda machine claimed that the Russian army had been called in by "ordinary Hungarians" to save the people from "the counter-revolutionaries". The standing joke (Hungarians are famous about their gallows humour) at the time was:

Quiz: What are the Russins doing in Hungary
Answer: Searching for whoever it was that asked for their help.

From: where hope for 'hope' is contemplated | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Kyle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1530

posted 02 November 2001 09:22 PM      Profile for David Kyle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure you would get the same mixed response if you asked Afghans if they support equal rights for women.
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 02 November 2001 10:47 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The ordinary afghan might not support the bombing. But the ordinary Afghan sure doesn't support the Taleban. Right of the start You have half the population hate the Taleban.
David Kyle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1530

posted 04 November 2001 01:25 PM      Profile for David Kyle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A few days ago CNN (the Anthrax network) broadcast an interview with a number of women who supported the Taliban overall treatment of women.
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 04 November 2001 04:18 PM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Brainwashing and death threats can work miracles.
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
JCL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1387

posted 04 November 2001 04:49 PM      Profile for JCL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A few days ago CNN (the Anthrax network) broadcast an interview with a number of women who supported the Taliban overall treatment of women.

quote:
Brainwashing and death threats can work miracles.

I agree, Trinity.

I still thought it was funny after the Taliban released a french journalist for spying and they said he dressed like a woman. I'm thinking "What the %$#@?" I think the US should interfere with Afghanistan radio and television and play MASh episodes where the cast of MASH makes references about Klinger wearing dresses.

From: Winnipeg. 35 days to Christmas yet no snow here. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca